Jamie says: I didn’t realize how long of a day I had yesterday until I came home with my arms full of bags and then looked at the clock. I set my yoga mat, lunch box, work bag, stack of books, running sneakers, and mail on my floor. I had been out for 12 hours. And what did I feel like doing after my long day? Cooking. Yes, I wanted to cook. So I made this:
I discovered this new and tasty way to make chicken. I’ve probably used it about 4 times in the last couple of months. I buy the antibiotic free and hormone free chicken breast from the Publix Greenwise section, slice it up, and cook it in a pan with canola oil on the stove top. I’s quick and easy. Perfect for days like this.
I really liked the array of colors this meal brought to the table… vibrant reds, oranges, yellows, and greens. I also enjoyed the flavors of each part of the meal separately and then together (i.e. I later added the tomato salad to the spinach and chicken). The tomato salad was refreshing; the plantains, sweet and salty; and the chicken and guacamole, taco-esque. Yum!
Chicken Strips and Guac over Spinach with Sweet Plantains and Lime Basil Tomato Salad
- 2 large plantains, mostly black
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper, divided
- a dash of garlic salt
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, 97% fat free fresh from Florida (Publix Greenwise, raised without antibiotics, no added hormones, vegetarian diet, no artificial ingredients or preservatives)
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- a dash of salt
- 1 cup multi-colored cherry tomatoes (Gainesville farmers’ market)
- 3 oz 75% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese (Cabot)
- 1 lime, whole
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 6 cups spinach
- 3 two-ounce packages (6 oz total) guacamole (Wholly Guacamole 100 cal snack packs)
- Preheat oven to 360°F. Peel plantains. Slice on the diagonal into wedges approximately 1 inch thick. Place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, a dash of freshly ground pepper, and garlic salt. Roll plantains in oil on baking sheet to evenly coat. Bake for about 25 minutes or until soft and slightly brown on the bottom.
- Slice chicken breasts into strips. Place in a frying pan with canola oil over medium heat. Add a dash of freshly ground pepper and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes. Flip. Cook an additional 5 minutes or until cooked throughout.
- Rinse tomatoes and cut in half. Place in a bowl. Cut cheese into small slices and add to tomatoes. Zest a whole lime. Add zest, lime juice, and basil leaves to tomatoes. Gently stir.
- To serve, divide spinach among 3 plates (or resealable containers for leftovers). Top spinach with guacamole and cooked chicken. Add plantains to plates. Serve tomato salad in 3 small bowls. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: Aim for an array of natural colors and food groups at your meals to get a variety of nutrients.