Jamie says: I’m so excited…I’m going bananas! My Banana Coconut Chicken Tenders with Orange Marmalade Sauce won 1st place in the main dishes category in the Chiquita Ultimate Banana Recipe Contest!
Thank you to everyone who voted for my recipe! Without your support I could not have won one of the two 1st place prizes- $500 for cooking classes/school and a Chiquita gift basket! Thank you so much for voting for my recipe, everyone! And thank you, Chiquita, for hosting this awesome contest and awarding me this amazing prize!
You can check out my recipe and the other winning recipes on the website, too. Here’s my winning recipe:
Banana Coconut Chicken Tenders with Orange Marmalade Sauce
~Bursting with tropical flavor, these crunchy chicken tenders are coated in banana, rolled in coconut flakes, baked to perfection, and dipped in a sweet orange marmalade sauce. One bite and you’ll be in paradise.~
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Chiquita bananas
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp coconut extract
- 1 cup whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 ½ tsp dried parsley
- ½ cup dried sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/3 lbs boneless chicken tenderloins
- No-stick cooking spray
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup dried sweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup orange marmalade
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Spread flour on a plate.
- In a medium bowl, mash bananas with a potato masher. In a small bowl, crack an egg and beat with a fork. Add egg and coconut extract to bananas. Mash until blended.
- Pour breadcrumbs, parsley, and coconut flakes into a medium-sized bowl. Stir until mixed.
- Roll chicken tenders in flour, then banana mixture, followed by breadcrumb mixture. Place on a baking sheet and bake 9 minutes. Flip tenders and bake an additional 9 minutes or until cooked throughout.
- Prepare dipping sauce by mixing together ketchup, coconut flakes, and orange marmalade in a small bowl.
- Serve chicken tenders with dipping sauce.
- Nutrition note (for TSOK readers): Skip the deep-fried chicken tenders at restaurants and make your own healthier and tastier version. The Banana Coconut Chicken Tenders with Orange Marmalade Sauce recipe uses whole wheat bread crumbs and bananas for an extra health bonus.
P.S. I’m eating a Chiquita banana as I type this.