Jamie says: The ‘rents are in town to celebrate homecoming and my birthday (and for Mom to go to an accounting conference)! It’s nice having them here. My Dad likes to eat eggs for breakfast, so he inspired me to make them for breakfast. I made one for him and one for me. Here’s what I did with mine.
Scrambled Egg ‘n’ Grits
- 1/4 cup Quaker quick-5 minutes grits
- 3/4 cup water
- one 4-grain omega 3 large egg
- 1 Tbsp Smart Balance extra virgin olive oil buttery spread
- dash salt
- dash pepper
- Pour grits and water in a microwave-safe bowl, stir, and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Stir.
- Heat a burner to medium heat. Spray a pan with PAM, crack an egg into it, and stir the egg. Place on burner and stir until egg is cooked.
- To the bowl of grits, add butter, egg, salt, and pepper. Serves: 1. Enjoy!
I enjoyed the combination of the grits, egg, and “butter” in this guilt-free Southern breakfast. I also liked the idea of a one-bowl meal.
- Nutrition note: Give some of your favorite “comfort” foods a make-over. For example, instead of using butter, use a healthy spread; and instead of three eggs with bacon and cheese, try one egg with grits for quantity and quality.